Govt may delay the $4 billion IDBI Bank Privatisation Plan

- Advertisement -
👉 Join our whatsapp group and get instant banking news updates

IDBI Bank Privatisation: The government of India is likely to defer the $4 billion IDBI Bank privatization plan over concerns that the unprecedented market volatility may deter prospective buyers, Mint report quoting two people familiar with the matter.

“The market volatility and the weakness in IDBI Bank’s stock means a much higher dilution in the government’s stake. The government may get a much lower value from the total 60.72% stake sale than what it expected earlier. In such a circumstance, the government is thinking of putting the divestment plan on hold,” one of the two people cited in the above report said.

“Also, due to the volatility and the fall in IDBI Bank stock, investors themselves are not too keen to spend any significant amount on any large acquisitions or even otherwise,” he added.

The divestment in IDBI Bank is the union government’s first privatisation plan in the banking space. The government holds a 60.72 per cent stake in IDBI Bank and expects at least $4 billion through the sale. The current market scenario is, however, unlike to fetch that valuation. As per the report, if the government decides to go ahead with the divestment despite the market weakness and the prevailing low stock price, the government will need to accept a sharply lower valuation of around $3 billion. The government does not want this.

Elections

Therefore, the plan has been altered for now. The sources mentioned in the report also said that the upcoming general election in 2024 is expected to bring market stability, and the government may take up large divestment plans such as IDBI Bank with more certainty after the polls.

- Advertisement -

IDBI Shares

IDBI Bank share price fell from a high of Rs 92 on 9 January 2023 to Rs 44.40. Consequently, IDBI Bank’s market value has fallen steeply from Rs 66,665 crore to around Rs l49,000 crore now. In order to fetch $4 billion at the current market value of IDBI Bank, the government and state-run Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) will have to sell at least 68 per cent, the report added.

DIPAM

DIPAM, which manages government holding in state-owned enterprises, in October last year invited EoIs for selling a 30.48 per cent stake in IDBI Bank, along with LIC’s 30.24 per cent stake in the bank.

The government and LIC together hold a 94.72 per cent stake in IDBI Bank, which will come down to 34 per cent after the strategic sale. The government will own a 15 per cent stake and LIC 19 per cent in IDBI Bank, taking their total holding to 34 per cent.

- Advertisement -

Share this article...

Comments

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More News...

Latest

HDFC Bank Held Liable By NCDRC For Not Sending SMS Alerts Regarding Unauthorized Transactions

HDFC Bank Held Liable By NCDRC For Not Sending SMS Alerts Regarding Unauthorized Transactions

RBI released new Master Circular on Fraud Risk Management [Download PDF]

RBI released new Master Circular on Fraud Risk Management [Download PDF]

RBI Master Circular – Bank Finance to Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFCs)

RBI Master Circular - Bank Finance to Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFCs)

RBI Master Circular on SHG-Bank Linkage Programme

RBI Master Circular on SHG-Bank Linkage Programme

RBI Master Circular on Conduct of Government Business by Agency Banks – Payment of Agency Commission

RBI Master Circular on Conduct of Government Business by Agency Banks - Payment of Agency Commission

RBI Master Circular on Board of Directors – UCBs

RBI Master Circular on Board of Directors - UCBs

RBI Master Circular: Lead Bank Scheme

RBI Master Circular: Lead Bank Scheme

RBI Master Circular: Housing Finance

RBI Master Circular: Housing Finance

RBI Master Circular: Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM)

RBI Master Circular: Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana - National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM)

RBI Master Circular: Basel III Capital Regulations

RBI Master Circular: Basel III Capital Regulations

Latest News