Govt to soon invite bids for privatising NMDC Steel: Report

- Advertisement -

According to officials, the government is planning to initiate the process of inviting financial bids for the privatization of NMDC Steel Ltd (NSL) after the blast furnace at its steel plant in Chhattisgarh becomes operational. The officials anticipate that the value of the company will increase once the blast furnace is commissioned and operational. NSL is projected to have a production capacity of 3 million tonnes per annum. The government currently holds a 60.79 percent stake in NSL, following its demerger from NMDC, India’s largest iron ore producer. The remaining 39.21 percent stake is held by the public.

As part of the privatization process, the government aims to sell 50.79 percent of its shareholding in NSL, along with management control. Multiple preliminary bids or expressions of interest have already been received for the company. Officials state that the fair value of NSL will be determined once the blast furnace, which is considered the core component of a steel plant, is commissioned and production commences. Only after investors gain confidence in the actual capacity of the company will financial bids be invited.

NMDC Steel was listed on the stock exchanges in February, initially trading at Rs 30.25 per share. Currently, it is trading around Rs 44 per share. Based on the current market price, the sale of a 50.79 percent stake would yield the government approximately Rs 6,500 crore. In October 2020, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) granted ‘in-principle’ approval for the demerger of the Nagarnar steel manufacturing unit from NMDC and the strategic disinvestment of the resulting entity by selling the entire government stake.

- Advertisement -

Subsequently, on December 1, 2022, the government invited bids for purchasing a 50.79 percent stake in NSL. The remaining 10 percent stake will be offered to NMDC after the selection of the strategic buyer for the majority stake. The privatization process of NSL is expected to be completed in the current fiscal year. The government has set a disinvestment target of Rs 51,000 crore for this fiscal year, of which it has raised Rs 4,235 crore through minority stake sales in public sector undertakings (PSUs) so far.

NMDC Steel

NMDC Steel Limited was formed under Government of India under Ministry of Steel with the help of NMDC’s resources for setting up a 3 MTPA capacity greenfield Integrated Steel Plant based on Hi-Smelt technology in Nagarnar, located 16 km from Jagdalpur in Chhattisgarh state with an estimated outlay of Rs. 25500 crore.

TypePublic
ISININE0NNS01018
IndustrySteel
Founded2021
ProductsHR Plates & sheets
API – 5L quality plates and coils
LPG Cylinders
HR Coils General Engineering steels
High Carbon Steel
Silicon steel
➡️ Join Whatsapp Group
➡️ Read more news
- Advertisement -

Share this article...

Comments

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More News...

Latest

TCS announced double digit salary hike for employees

TCS starts variable pay for Junior Employees

Finance Ministry Proposes Strict Measures to prevent Cyber Fraud after BOB World Scam

Finance Ministry Proposes Strict Measures to prevent Cyber Fraud after BOB World Scam

CA in Pune cheated of Rs 3.4 crore in Share Trading Fraud

Pune-based Chartered Accountant Cheated of Rs 3.4 Crore in Elaborate Share Trading Cyber Fraud

BJP promises to increase Mudra Loan Limit to Rs.20 Lakh

BJP promises to increase Mudra Loan Limit to Rs.20 Lakh

RBI to Introduce New Licensing Framework for Point of Sales (POS) Operators in India

RBI to Introduce New Licensing Framework for Point of Sales (POS) Operators in India

This Man never went to College but now Earns Rs.10 Crore, Read his success story

This Man never went to College but now Earns Rs.10 Crore, Read his success story

Banks can not force Lawyers to pay Court Fees from their own pockets

Banks can not force Lawyers to pay Court Fees from their own pockets

Last 10 years Inflation Rate in India

Last 10 years Inflation Rate in India

1.5 crore individuals have not filed ITR, IT Department will soon send notice to them

Income Tax Department to send notice to 1.5 crore individuals for not filing ITR

Viral Video of Girl changing Clothes openly in front of Public

Viral Video of Girl changing Clothes openly in front of Public

Latest News